Maternity & Infant Massage (48 hours)
This course offers a rich blend of massage and reflexology for pre-conception, pregnancy and post-partum. Additional resources include an overview of childbirth education, including the anatomy and physiology of the developing maternal body.
In practicum and classroom instruction, participants learn the following objectives:
- Physiology of the female body. Ideal states, conditions and requirements for conception and how bodywork can facilitate pregnancy.
- Anatomy and physiology of the fetus and special focus on massage for the growing uterus and surrounding tissues.
- First, second and third trimester bodywork techniques are practiced during class, including demonstration and training as to how to conduct sessions using proper draping and table/cushion protocols.
Volunteering mothers from each stage of pregnancy will join for an in-class clinic, providing students with the ultimate hands-on learning environment.
Further this course offers instruction in the ancient art of infant massage. The content is designed to give the student solid working knowledge of infant development, physiology, and special needs, so the student will be equipped to safely and effectively perform infant massage. Also, because one of the most important aspects of infant massage is the bonding and trust it fosters between parent and child, the class will include training the student, how to teach infant massage to parents, whether in private sessions within the scope of their practice, or in a small group or classroom setting. Dolls will be used for initial instruction, with parent/infant “teams” joining in during the advanced stage of the course. Plenty of hands-on and question-and-answer time will ensure that students gain the knowledge and confidence needed, to put these techniques into practice immediately.
Students will learn:
- Why infant massage has been an integral part of most cultures for centuries
- Different considerations for various stages of infant development
- Contraindications for infant massage
- Considerations for pre-term and other special-needs babies
- Treatments for common infant/childhood problems (colic, constipation, etc.)
- Recent findings from research studies re: the importance of touch
- How to “read” and follow babies’ cues when giving a massage
- Ways (and “whys”) to adapt massage for the toddler/child/teenager
- Why body/mind centering and awareness is so important, for parent and child!
- How to design and promote infant massage classes
Prerequisites: Therapeutic Massage Level 1, Anatomy: Bones & Muscles, Physiology
96 –Hour Courses
- Orthopedic/Clinical Sports Massage (96 hrs)
- Traditional Thai Massage on the Mat (96 hrs)
48 – Hour Courses
- Deep Tissue Massage (48 hrs)
- Myofacial Release Technique (48 hrs)
- Positional Release (48 hrs)
- Hot & Cold Stone Therapy (48 hrs)
- Shiatsu (Japanese Massage) (48 hrs)
- Acupressure (48 hrs)
- Foot Reflexology (48 hrs)
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage (48 hrs)
- Clinical Aromatherapy (48 hrs)
- Maternity & Infant Massage (48 hrs)
32 – Hour Courses
- Barefoot Bars Deep Tissue (32 hrs)
16 – Hour Courses
- Fusion 16 – “Best-Of” Collection (16 hrs)
- Rock to Relax: Pulsing (16 hrs)
- Rock to Relax: Rebalancing (16 hrs)
- Thai Herbal Spa (16 hrs)
- Premier Spa: Indonesia (16 hrs)
- Sea Shell Massage (16 hrs)
- Aryuvedic Shirodhara (16 hrs)
- Hot Stone Reflexology (16 hrs)
- Sound Infused Therapies (16 hrs)
- Oncology & Hospice Massage (16 hrs)
8 – Hour Courses (Special Body Series)
- Your Crown & Glory - Head Massage (8 hrs)
- Dreamy Face Sequence (8 hrs)
- Crazy Good Neck Work - Version 1 & 2 (8 hrs each)
- Ease the Load – Shoulder Work (8 hrs)
- Embracing Life – Arms, Wrists & Hands (8 hrs)
- Soothing Belly Work - Abdominal Sequence (8 hrs)
- I’ve Got Your Back - Special Back Techniques (8 hrs)
- Move Freely - Pelvis/Hips (8 hrs)
- Stand Your Ground - Legs/Feet (8 hrs)
- Relax - Ear/Hand Reflex (8 hrs)